Search This Blog

Thursday 7 April 2011

My beautiful birth country

I have just returned from a short visit to Malaysia, my birth place.  Though it was nice to visit my family and friends, I have always longed to returned to New Zealand each time I was visiting Malaysia.  One of the reasons is that I can't tolerate the heat and humidity.

However, it is racism and hypocrisy there that most appals me and drives me to leave the country as soon as I could. To eloborate on this, I will briefly tell you my experience on the airport train while I was on my way to Kuala Lumpur International Airport to catch my flight back to New Zealand.

The train had two rows of seats.  On my right row, was seated a Malay gentleman in his 50s, who looked rather educated.  A few minutes later, a young European gentleman came and sat opposite the Malay gentleman.  The Malay gentleman immediately started to chat with the European gentleman.  As they were seated close to me, on my right, I could not help listening to their conversation.  They would have known that I could listen to their conversation.

The Malay gentleman asked the European gentleman where he was from to which the man replied that he was from Belgium. The Malay gentleman told him that he completed his tertiary education in England and asked the Belgian gentleman how his visit to Malaysia was.  The man replied that he enjoyed it and that he was taken by the peacefulness he noticed in this multiracial country.  Just for your information, Malaysia's major races are the Malays (the majority), the Chinese and the Indians.  The Malay gentleman then replied that the three races indeed live peacefully with each other but if there was ever any problems with the Indians and Chinese, the Malays would not hesitate killing them.

The Malay gentleman then talked about the Germans and the World War 2.  He said that Hitler was wrong to kill the Jews because their religion is similar to Christianity and Islam.  He said that he was sure that Hitler was not against Jews for their religion but rather their race.  He then said that if there was a war, he (the Malay gentleman) would first kill the Hindus and the Chinese. He supported his stance to kill the Hindus because apparently, "the Hindus have many Gods" (which is not correct as Hindus believe that there is only one God).  I was shocked to listen to what he was saying to this young Belgian gentleman.  The Belgian gentleman did not respond to this. He politely listened to this Malay gentleman and went on his separate ways when the train arrived at the airport.

In a nutshell, this is Malaysia, it seems like its people are friendly and live peacefully with eachother, but deep within themselve, there is plenty of hatred.  I must say that the government's is responsible for this as the government practises "divide and rule" policy.  I rather be treated as a 2nd class citizen (if at all) in a foreign country then being treated that way in my own country of birth.

It is sad that there are people who are so racist in this 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment